Is it Time to Feed the Monkey?


Now that you have learned that the 800lb gorilla in the room named Google is a picky eater who prefers to eat Google-owned properties such as YouTube, Blogger and Google+, you can use this fact to your advantage when optimizing your web presence.  However, this fact alone will do you little good if you fail to feed the monkey.

By that, I mean that having these tools in your kit is useless if you don’t employ them.  This means that you need to create at least one blogpost per week and at least one YouTube video per month if you are going to get the Gorilla’s attention.  You also need to learn to post to your social networks on a regular basis in order to get this part of the equation producing any tangible benefits.  Having a Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and Merchant Circle account won’t add up to a hill of beans if you don’t post to them.  However, when you have 5 or six social networks, plus a blog and a vlog to create like clockwork, you don’t want to put yourself in the position of having to create a part time job in order to feed the need.

So here’s what I do:

  1. I create a blog per week and a video every other week.
  2. I post the blog to Blogger and upload the Vlog to YouTube
  3. I go to my homepage, where I have placed links to my social networks.  Clicking on them, I post headlines and links to my blogpost and video on each of my social networks.  In certain cases, such as Merchant Circle, where I can repost my blog in its entirety, I do so.
  4. Then I am always cognizant of other items to post on my networks, such as links to interesting articles, networking events I attend, etc.

In this way, I can feed the monkey in the shortest possible amount of time. Typically it takes two to three hours max per week to keep all of the above mentioned communication nodes humming along.  And in so doing, I am making certain that my websites are not viewed by Google as a second banana.

Carl Weiss’ main websites http://access-jax.com and http://jacksonville-video-production.com can show you how to maximize your online presence by creating video-driven websites that speak to your audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment